BSO Jamborees 2022-23 Expressions of Interest
With two summers of Scouting adventure having been wiped out by the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re looking forward to things being more normal from 2022. And now is the time to start making plans for our future BSO summer get togethers. A link to the survey form is at the end of this page but first, it is essential you find out a bit more about each of the camps below.
- The survey form is open to both young people and adult leaders
- Responses are limited to one vote per member, so if you have more than one member of your family in Scouting, you will need to complete the form for each member.
- Participating in the survey allows us to get an idea of numbers, and your choice now does not commit you to attending any of these camps.
- If your Scout Group wishes to register on any of these camps as a separate unit (which would be great!), then please still complete the survey – We can remove you if necessary.
- All the below camps are open to members of the Scout and Guide Associations.
- Each camp has its own website. We urge you to look at all of them before taking the survey.
- Your data will, be treated according to our data protection policy
- We will contact you by email when registration opens.
- Please respond by 30th April 2021 and we’ll do our best to book the most popular camps!
2022 Summer Jamboree Options
For 2022, we have three large, popular and well-established camps in the UK to choose from. We have tried to provide some pros and cons for each camp below.
- The three camps all take place on the same dates: Saturday 30th July – Saturday 6th August.
- Scouts and Explorers must be aged between 10 and 18 in 2022 (i.e. born between 30/07/2004 and 30/07/2012)
- If we have enough Explorer Scouts registered, we will likely run a separate sub-camp for BSO Explorers.
Kent International Jamboree 2022
Location: Maidstone, Kent
Description: The Kent International Jamboree (KIJ) offers Scouts and Guides the opportunity to join over 5,000 young people together for a week of friendship, discovery, excitement, parties, shows, culture and so much more! BSO Area has never attended KIJ, but other BSO Groups in Europe highly recommend this camp.
Media: See the KIJ22 Promotional video and previous camp videos on the KIJ YouTube channel
Cost*: YP: £190, Leaders £50
- Location very accessible from London and south coast ferry ports
- Airport and train transfers available
- Jambo Juniors programme for leader’s kids aged under 10
- A long way from the north of the UK
- Very popular and gets full quickly
Poacher 2022 International Jamboree
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
Description: Welcoming over 6,000 Scouts & Guides, Poacher is Lincolnshire’s International Scout and Guide Jamboree – back again for the 11th time in 2022 for a week of fun, friendship and adventure. In 2017, seventy BSO members attended the last Poacher and had a brilliant time. Lots of adventurous and creative activities, entertainment, parties, trips and visits. Good, purpose-made toilet/shower facilities.
Media: See the Poacher YouTube channel for videos of previous camps.
Cost*: £210 pp (plus £30 discount if booked before October 31st 2021)
- Transfer to/from Lincoln railway station
- Creche and activities for leader’s kids ages 5-9
- Location not very accessible, 15-20 minute drive to Lincoln train station.
Location: Knutsford, Cheshire
Description: Chamboree (Cheshire Jamboree) is an international Scout Camp for Scouts and Guides from all over the world. Situated in rural Cheshire, close to Manchester and Liverpool and less than 2 hours from London by train! BSO attended Chamboree in 2018. The camp was fun but it is a lot smaller and less international than Poacher and Kent International Jamboree with less ‘big’ activities and more traditional Scouting-related activities.
Media: Checkout the Chamboree YouTube channel for some videos of the previous camp.
Cost*: YP: £175, Leaders £70. Early bird discount: 1 free leader for every 12 participants (plus free badge!) if booked and paid before end 2021
- Accessible: on main motorway network and close to Manchester Airport. Trains from Manchester. Shuttle bus from Knutsford station (must be booked)
- Daily bus service to supermarkets and central place for collecting online shopping orders
- No creche and junior camp for Cubs/Beavers etc only open to Cheshire scouts.
- In 2018, the toilet and shower facilities were quite poor with large queues for limited showers.
*Prices are for accommodation and standard activities only. The final cost per BSO participant will be higher to include costs related to food, equipment, transport, vehicle hire, BSO activities etc.
Please decide which camp you would prefer to attend and register your choice in the form linked at the bottom of this page.
Thinking even further ahead…
We know 2023 seems a long way ahead but we need to start making plans now. You have three options to consider:
- World Scout Jamboree (WSJ) in South Korea. Must be age 14-18 in summer 2023. The WSJ is always massively oversubscribed and there will be a selection process within BSO. You may express an interest in the other options in case you are not successful getting onto the WSJ.
- Haarlem Jamborette near Amsterdam. For ages 10-18 in summer 2023.
- BSO camp at PACCAR Scout Camp in Buckinghamshire (about 20 minutes from London Heathrow). For ages 10-18 in summer 2023.
Scouts and Explorers must be aged between 10 and 18 in 2023 (i.e. born between 30/07/2005 and 30/07/2013)
Haarlem Jamborette 2023
Location: Haarlem (near Amsterdam), Holland
Dates: 5 – 16 August 2023 (12 days)
Description: Open to Scouts and Explorers, Haarlem Jamborette is a twelve-day camp where 3,000 international scouts camp in the recreational area of Spaarnwoude, close to Amsterdam, Haarlem and the North Sea. Twelve days full of great activities, adventures, parties and trips with a chance to meet and make new friends from more than 25 different countries, and of course fun festivities in between to remember forever. We last attended this camp in 2019 and for many this was the longest they’d ever been away from home and the best camp they’d ever attended.
Media: The Haarlem Jamborette YouTube channel has some excellent compilations showing the many activities on offer.
Cost: The cost for 2019 was £460 GBP
- Transfer to/from Amsterdam International Airport (Schiphol)
- Very international unlike UK ‘international’ camps
- Easier for European BSO Groups to attend
- Food provided by organisers (no shopping!)
- This is a long 12-days away from home and may be difficult for younger Scouts.
- HJ is at the same time as the World Scout Jamboree but please don’t let this stop you from submitting an interest.
Blow Your Socks Off 2023
Location: Paccar Scout Camp, Chalfont St Peter, Buckinghamshire UK
Dates: 5 – 12 August 2023 (likely)
Description: Paccar is a fantastic, purpose-made Scout campsite set in 44 acres of woodland and green fields within the beautiful Buckinghamshire countryside. Blow Your Socks Off (BYSO) is a week-long camp with organised instructor–led activities every day. The camp is aimed primarily at Scouts and Explorers (and their equivalent Guide Sections) but Cubs are welcome and would be able to take part in almost all activities. The program consists three days utilising all of Paccar’s many adventurous activities along with many additional activities. There is a water activities day at a local centre; a day trip to a big theme park; a day trip to London and an “It’s a Knockout final day where the whole camp comes together. BSO members have attended this camp in 2018 and 2019. This is a small camp with between 300-500 participants and although this is not the same as a massive international Jamboree, is still very enjoyable. Check out a previous booking form which gives an idea of the many activities on offer at BYSO.
Media: Checkout this video from the 70th Portsmouth Scout Group which shows the activities they got up to at a previous BYSO. Also see Paccar’s promotional video.
Cost: Likely to be about £200 GBP
- Good for those on a budget
- The toilet and shower facilities are modern and purpose-made.
- 20-30 minutes from London Heathrow
- Option of central catering
- No need to transport camping equipment (we store BSO equipment at Paccar)
- Pickup from local train station (Gerrard’s Cross)
- Smaller camp – not a massive international jamboree, but still fun
- A long way from the north of the UK
25th World Scout Jamboree 2023
Location: Saemangeum, Jeollabuk-do Province, South Korea
Dates: End July to mid-August 2023 (3 weeks in total)
Description: The World Scout Jamboree (WSJ) happens every four years and is a life-changing experience. This will be the 25th WSJ and will take place on the 1 to 12 August in 2023 with a week before or after for visiting other parts of South Korea with the rest of your 40-person BSO contingent. The theme is ‘Draw your Dream’ and you will meet Scouts from almost every country in the world.
Website: WSJ: https://www.2023wsjkorea.org/_html/index.html and see the UK Contingent website: https://www.scouts.org.uk/volunteers/running-your-section/international-scouts-and-events/international-events/wsj/
Media: For a taste of what to expect, checkout the 2023 WSJ promotional video
Cost: The previous USA WSJ was £3,900 GBP. This is expensive but fundraising and Group support is expected. The fee helps to subsidise Scouts from poorer nations to attend.
- You will travel with your contingent from a UK airport to South Korea
- Part of a 40-strong BSO contingent
- Camp with Scouts from nearly every nation on earth
- Likely stay in Seoul and with Korean Scouts before/after the WSJ
- An amazing, life-changing experience
- You will be away for three weeks and a long way from home
- Very popular and limited spaces
- BSO will run a selection process including application, references and interview
- It is expensive but shouldn’t prevent applying as help is available. The fee helps to subsidise Scouts from poorer nations to attend.
Link to survey form
Young people and adults are invited to vote for your choice of summer jamborees here: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=nCQ4JHfKQUyr00Vmreo2IpoRWI3VDcNGnhqFLtpjtgRURDZXTkxCMUMzNVI5QVM1NFpQS0hWQ1VJTi4u