We have an exciting opportunity for a someone with a head for finance and governance, to join our France & Iberia team as District Treasurer.
Role overview: The District Treasurer will provide sound financial administration, support and information to the District Executive Committee of France & Iberia District of British Scouting Overseas Area, in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
Due to the size of the District, and depending on location of individuals, regular face-to-face meetings will be less than UK. Therefore much of the contact will be by video conference such as Skype. Other communication will often be by email or other electronic media.
Responsible to: the District Chairman, France & Iberia Scout District.
Main responsibilities of the District Treasurer are:
- Act as Treasurer for France & Iberia Scout District.
- Manage and monitor the financial activities of the Executive Committee.
- Prepare and present financial reports and accounts to the District Executive Committee.
- Ensuring that the District is financially able to function, has appropriate reserves and that accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- Prepare the Annual Statement of Accounts for independent examination and approval by the Executive Committee and presenting these at the Annual General Meeting.
- Administering the process of Independent Examination of the Annual Statement of Accounts in accordance with Policy, Organisation and Rules.
- Lead the Executive Committee in the creation of budgets and financial planning and monitoring of these.
- Overseeing the payment of the Annual Membership fee. This entails ensuring that Group Treasurers pay on time the correct annual National, Area and District Membership fees to the District Account for division and payment.
- Membership and attendance of any finance working groups or sub committees set up by the Executive Committee as appropriate. This will include the District Fundraising sub committee.
- To build up an understanding of financial matters and procedures used in France and Spain as well as UK. (Initially, some specialist information will be available from others in the District and the Area Treasurer.)
- Supporting and advising Group Treasurers on financial matters.
Appointment Requirements: Must successfully complete the Appointment Process, which includes acceptance of the Scout Associations Policies and clearance for suitability to work with Young People.
Training Requirements: Must complete Module 1 within 5 months of full appointment. This training gives a grounding in your role in Scouting as a lay member. Much of this can be completed on-line through a Training Advisor.
General Executive Committee responsibilities:
- To be an active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of an Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Associations Policy Organisation and Rules, (POR).
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the District.
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the District.
- An understanding of their own role, and the role of others on the Executive Committee.
- Willingness to complete financial tasks which support the work of the Executive Committee and aims of the District.
Skill requirements of a District Treasurer:
- Previous experience of financial management or the role of a Charity Treasurer.
- To be a French speaker.
- Some knowledge of financial procedures in France and Iberia.
- Good IT skills
- Good administrational skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Able to think creatively and solve problems
- Able to analyse financial information effectively
- Ability to summarise financial information for different audiences
- Willingness to speak one’s mind and take on board the views of others
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement
Other tasks agreed with the District Chairman: As appropriate to the role.
Note: The District Account is held in France. For this reason, and the difficulties of Charity Accounts in Spain, the District Treasurer must reside in France or Spain. Being a French speaker is a necessity to deal with the French banking system.