Members of British Scouting Overseas (BSO) are attending Wings 2020 along with more than 6,000 Guides and Scouts from around the world.
This camp follows on from our previous fantastic BSO camps at Poacher 2017 (Lincolnshire), Chamboree 2018 (Cheshire) and Haarlem 2019 (Holland). At the end of Chamboree 2018, our members voted overwhelmingly to attend WINGS 2020 because of the awesome programme and how easy it is to get there from overseas. This camp will very likely be the biggest and best camp we’ve ever attended and we are expecting a record number of BSO campers!
What is WINGS 2020?
- WINGS is a special international jamboree for Guides and Scouts from all around the world.
- It is based in Windsor Great Park which is the Queen’s back garden!
- In 2014, WINGS hosted 7,000 people from 41 countries.
- Anyone attending will have fun, will be challenged, will have adventures and make new lasting friendships
- More information on the official website: wings2020.org.uk
- Official facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wings2020/
Where is WINGS 2020?
- WINGS is held in the grounds of Windsor Great Park, close to Windsor, Berkshire
- Over 4,800 acres with a Royal history spanning over 1,000 years. See historical monuments, ancient forests and stunning horticultural displays, as well as rare wildlife and plants. Website: http://www.windsorgreatpark.co.uk
- Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/Q1DsXq9yPx72
When is WINGS 2020?
Saturday 25th July to Saturday 1st August, 2020
Why attend BSO members attending WINGS 2020?
- Daytime programme: The programme isn’t confirmed but in 2014 Scouts and Explorers enjoyed trying out a huge variety of activities including: abseiling, high ropes, climbing, wet and dry caving, parkour, day hike (and shopping!) in Windsor, mop hockey, bungee trampolines, archery, rifle shooting, circus skills, kayaking, dragon boating, water zorbs, screen-printing, fire-lighting, trek cart racing, cooking, badge-swapping – the list was near endless!!
- Throughout the week Scouts and Explorers achieved various tasks and daily challenges that earned them the ‘Windsor Award’ (which can be worn on their uniforms). They also completed tasks that will count towards the Outdoor Challenge and Global Challenge Award badges.
- Evening programme: The evening entertainment in 2014 was varied and spectacular with talent contests as well as mad scientist, pirate and neon themed parties with live DJ’s and bands, lasers, mocktails, popcorn and candyfloss!
- Please see this short, 4.5 minute Youtube video showing Cardiff Scout’s adventures at WINGS 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCMplnDwXmE
Here’s some feedback from WINGS 2014:
- Loved Wings – Best UK jamboree we’ve been to (Leader from Devon)
- ‘WINGS was a fantabulous experience – all of us learned a lot from it.’ (Scout from Berkshire)
- ‘We had lots of fun and met lots of new people from many different countries.’ (Scout from Berkshire)
- ‘We all made friends we will never forget!’ (Scout from Berkshire)
- ‘As well as new people there were new experiences and new activities. In each of the zones everyone learnt something different or tried a skill that they had never done before. We all had something to take away with us (including great memories)!’ (Scout from Berkshire)
- ‘I liked the experience of meeting new people!’ (Scout from Berkshire)
- ‘WINGS 2014 was amazing, I loved it. The activities were amazing.’ (Scout from Berkshire)
Transport to/from WINGS 2020?
- Independent Travel
Parents may drop participants off at the campsite on the afternoon of Saturday 27th July
- Windsor train stations
Meet and pickup at the local Windsor & Eton Riverside or Windsor & Eton Central train stations. 10 minutes drive to camp
- Heathrow airport
Windsor is only 20 minutes drive to Windsor. We will operate a meet and greet at Heathrow Airport for non-accompanied Scouts/Explorers
How much is WINGS 2020?
- Scouts/Explorers 10-17yrs £325
- Leader / Adult (18yrs +) £100
- Young Leader (14-17yrs) £100
All fees include food and activities.
Leader and Young leader costs does not include activities. Any Leader or Young Leader wishing to take part in the activities will have to pay the Full Participant Fee.